Re: online doc vs hard doc

Subject: Re: online doc vs hard doc
From: Ronni Geist <ronni -at- GEISTWRITERS -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 12 Jun 1998 17:39:47 -0400

Kenneth Marks wrote:

> Here's how I've divided up the software information spectrum so far:
>
> Hardcopy
> --------
> Product features
> Planning considerations
> Installation tasks
> Setup/configuration tasks
> Examples of key user tasks
>
> Online (assumes a GUI)
> ----------------------
> Product features
> Planning considerations
> Tutorial (user task scenarios)
> User tasks (how to)
> Contextual help
> Reference information
> Error messages
> Troubleshooting

Kenneth -

When I was docs manager at a PC hardware/software company, I always had my
writers put Error Messages and Troubleshooting info in the printed manual.

Why?

If end-users have problems installing and/or running the software, will
they be able to access the Error Messages and/or Troubleshooting help online?
Probably not...

Ronni

Ms. Ronni Geist
Editorial Director