Entry-level wrap-up

Subject: Entry-level wrap-up
From: Matthew Bin <mattbin -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Sat, 13 Jun 1998 23:06:45 PDT

I just wanted to add a short note (on a pretty slow weekend) about my
question earlier in the week, asking about whether my current position
was "entry-level" or "less than two years".

I don't think that more than a couple of messages were mailed to the
list; however, I got well over a dozen off-list replies to my query, and
they all were extremely helpful to me.

The general consensus, as far as I can see, is that although experience
is a factor, someone isn't entry-level if he or she is working without
direct supervision, not just learning the trade, not fresh out of
school, not just changed careers, or some other common-sense sort of
determining factor.

The experience factor seems to be an arguable point; some would say you
aren't entry-level after a few months, some draw the line at six months,
and some draw the line at a year.

Everyone conceded, I think, that the "it depends factor" is crucial in
these kinds of definitions.

Anyway, the thoughtful answers to my question made it a lot easier for
me to answer my boss. They made me a lot more confident in the position
I was taking w.r.t. my pay level.

However, what I found most valuable was the encouraging tone that most
of the respondents used. Who needs a Lone Writers' SIG! I've got this
listserv! (Note: just kidding!)

Anyway, thanks very much to everyone, yet again, for all the help. It
is very truly appreciated.

Matt