FW: Humor vs. Tech Pubs

Subject: FW: Humor vs. Tech Pubs
From: Dave Hollenbeck <dhollenbeck -at- DIEHLGRAPHSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:02:36 -0400

I am offended at the reference to pornography (XXX) in this posting!

Not really, but if an imaginary cat can get so many feathers ruffled, why can't this? People can take things way too literally, in my opinion. I don't think the original intent of this thread was to see if putting off-color or insulting jokes in manuals, etc. is appropriate, but just whether to put something lightly humorous and/or encouraging to keep the reader from feeling like reading the manual is as difficult as using the software, appliance or what have you, which, in many cases, it is. In many cases, it doesn't hurt to empathize a little with your reader using humor.

IMHO, the cat story is great because nothing happened to a real cat. It is memorable and clearly gets the point across. Even if I actually had actually been hit by lightning, I could understand the humor and image the commercial is making, it might even give me a really good reason to try it. Would you be equally offended if the bolt of lightning gave super powers instead of intense thirst? The person who was actually hit by lightning didn't get super powers. As for the bugs, how many can say they didn't take some kind of pleasure in squishing or frying a bug in their youth? You may feel a little bit bad about it now, but it was really fun then! Too many people are taking this stuff too seriously.

And no I have never tortured a cat, I actually had one in the family for nearly 18 years that was great to be around.

Dave Hollenbeck
We're just recycled history machines
Cavemen in faded blue jeans