Re: copyright advice?

Subject: Re: copyright advice?
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 11:21:24 -0400

On Wednesday, June 17, 1998 9:37 AM, Jackie Cable
[SMTP:jackie -at- orbital -dot- co -dot- uk] wrote:
> H'lo,
>
> I'm just about to complete a set of manuals to support a new software
> application, and I'm looking for advice on what copyright information I
need
> to include.
>
> Specifically, I've mentioned third-party products such as Java, Netscape
> Communicator and Microsoft IE in the manuals - do I need to include
> statements of copyright to cover this? Is it enough to say:
>
> "All product names mentioned in this manual are the trademarks of their
> respective owners."

For third party products, I usually name the biggies - something like this:

EXCEL(r) and WORD(r) are registered trademarks of Microsoft Corporation.
JAVA (r) is a registered trademark of Sun Microsystems Inc.

I believe that legally you have to spell out their respective owners.

> I intend to include something like this for the rest of the copyright
> notice:
>
> "The information in this manual is subject to change without notice.
> <Company> assumes no responsibility or liability for any errors or
> inaccuracies that may appear in this book.

I usually word this:

XYZ Corporation assumes no responsibility, express or implied, for the
information contained in this manual and reserves the right to change the
information as necessary, without notice.

> All rights reserved. Reproduction, adaptation or translation without
prior
> written permission from <Company> is prohibited, except as allowed under
the
> terms of the <Product> software licence.

My version is usually:

All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced or
used in any form or by any means - graphic, electronic, or mechanical
including photocopying, recording, taping or information storage and
retrieval systems - without written permission of XYZ Corporation.

> Copyright (c) 1998, <Company>."
>

> The manuals will be printed in the UK, but will be used worldwide.

Hope something here is useful,

Suzette