Re: Cross-ref pet peeve

Subject: Re: Cross-ref pet peeve
From: John Eldard <JEldard -at- VINCA -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 13:41:35 -0600

I usually use the "see Chapter x" for casual reference. If I think they really will go right to the referred spot at that moment I will use a pages number and even a header title.

John Eldard
Technical Writer
Vinca Corporation

Check out my technical book reviews at
http://users.itsnet.com/~wordesign

>>> Elizabeth Kane <bkane -at- ARTISOFT -dot- COM> 06/17 1:34 PM >>>
It bugs me when I'm using a book and I come upon a cross-reference
that says "see Chapter x..." Am I alone in being bugged by this?

The beginning of a chapter is usually hard to find without either
going to the TOC, or doing a lot of page-flipping and trying to read
footers. I don't want users to have to take the second step of going
to the TOC to find out the chapter's starting page number.

So in our manuals, when I make chapter cross-refs, I say "see Chapter
x, beginning on page x." Then the users can go right to it if they
want to. It may take a teeny bit longer to create the cross-ref (if
you make the chapter number a hypertext link as well as the page
number), but I'm willing to take the time to make things easier for
the users.

Beth Kane
Senior Technical Writer
bkane -at- artisoft -dot- com