Re: Humor 'n' more

Subject: Re: Humor 'n' more
From: Max Wyss <prodok -at- PRODOK -dot- CH>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 21:43:45 +0200

Sarah,

maybe, it is a bit simplistic ... but barely Swiss Humor (that would be
Sauglattismus, about the level of certain British TV comedies).

Humor in comic strips ... that can be a tough one, I agree. However, I do
have a very nice example where cartoon characters IMHO would make it pretty
well: the good old Metafont book, which I would have to dig out. I think,
here we do agree that humor must be used like a condiment.

Word plays and cultural references are hard to localize. It is possible,
but I think you give the main reason why it is not done well or not done at
all: Translations are treated like a commodity. You say, the translator is
paid by the thousand words. Why aren't the technical writers paid by the
word? why aren't the programmers paid by the number of bytes of
executables? (well, maybe Microsoft's are <g>). No, but translators who do
have in some cases a very high responsibility over the success of a
product... Whenever I can, I set a flat fee for my translations. This is a
soft way to educate clients. OK, I have mostly direct clients, no agencies.

Anyway, one place for some kind of humor are examples. They are not too
difficult to localize, as every country has its own sample names etc.

I'm soon running out of "Zweiräppler".

Max Wyss
PRODOK Engineering AG
Technical documentation and translations, Electronic Publishing
CH-8906 Bonstetten, Switzerland

Fax: +41 1 700 20 37
e-mail: mailto:prodok -at- prodok -dot- ch or 100012 -dot- 44 -at- compuserve -dot- com

Bridging the Knowledge Gap ...

... with Acrobat Forms ... now for belt drive designers at

http://www.prodok.ch/prodok/riemen.html