Re: ISO 9000

Subject: Re: ISO 9000
From: Janice Gelb <janiceg -at- MARVIN -dot- ENG -dot- SUN -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 08:44:08 -0700

Well, given this subject, I can't resist sharing this piece of email
humor, which I hope everyone will agree is on-topic:

>Date: Tue, 30 Sep 97 16:12:00 -0500
>From: Jim Kobrinetz <lab3 -at- tensile -dot- com>
>Subject: Stupid ISO Tricks
>
>The problem with ISO auditors is that, while they must be conversant with
>the latest statistical quality methods, and with paper trails and all that,
>they often don't know spit about methods and processes (the theory behind
>ISO 9000 being that paper trail and traceability are all that count).
>A company that supplies hardware and software for chemical analysis of
>materials using optical spectrometry received a call from one of their
>customers one day. The president of the company picked up the call
>(optical spectrometry relies on the wavelength emitted by a material
>when excited; this wavelength is a characteristic of the material).
>
>The customer: We have an iso auditor here, and he wants to know what
>I am supposed to do if the wavelength changes.
>
>The president: You mean if the mercury profile (one of the fine
>adjustments) changes?
>
>Customer: I don't think so. You talk to him.
>
>The Auditor: What do you do if the wavelength changes?
>
>President: What do you mean?
>
>Auditor: You have a table here. It says that chromium has a certain
>wavelength. What do you do if it changes?
>
>President: Then God is dead, and WE DON'T CARE!

Janice Gelb | The only connection Sun has with this
janice -dot- gelb -at- eng -dot- sun -dot- com | message is the return address.
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/8018/index.html

"Editor: Someone whose job requires the knowledge that `carpe diem'
is not the fish of the day."