Re: Offsite work

Subject: Re: Offsite work
From: Barb Philbrick <caslonsvcs -at- IBM -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:27:52 GMT

>I am an experienced writer looking for offsite writing opportunities due to
>summer parental responsibilities. Any suggestions?

I assume you're already set up as a contractor.

From there, market yourself. Make it clear in your marketing materials
(or in the phone calls) that one of the benefits you offer is your own
equipment. Instead of focusing on the fact that you want to work at
home, focus on the fact that you can save the client overhead costs:
software, desk, cubicle, computer, phone, and so on.

I have found that new clients usually want flat-rate quotes if you
work off-site. You can sometimes get that changed around after they
get to know (and trust) you.

I hope I'm answering your question --- there are lots of angles to
this one! Feel free to contact me for more information.

Regards,

Barb

Barbara Philbrick, Caslon Services Inc.
Technical Writing. caslonsvcs -at- ibm -dot- net
Cleveland, OH