Re: Netscape Composer, MS Publisher, or Word 97?

Subject: Re: Netscape Composer, MS Publisher, or Word 97?
From: Deborah Ray <debray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 14:20:04 -0600

At 12:15 PM 6/19/98 -0500, you wrote:

>If anyone has used Netscape Composer, MS Publisher, or Word 97 to create a
>web site, did you have any browser problems? If anyone is familiar with all
>of these tools, which one is the easiest to use?

Eesch! My initial recommendation is to use Notepad
and hand code your Web pages. By hand coding, you'll
end up with more control over the results and won't be
limited by a particular editor's features. Plus, you
won't end up with miscellaneous (unnecessary where-the-
heck-did-that-come-from) code that WYSIWYG
editors tend to insert into the documents.

Of the three editors you mentioned, though, I would definitely
stay away from Composer. I found its capabilities pretty
limited and its implementation very flaky--at least
they were with Composer's initial release. It might be
a good choice if you need to develop documents with
simple content and design or if you need to develop
a few pages quickly; however, (IMHO) it would be a
nightmare for anything beyond that.

Hope this helps!
Deborah (co-author, _Netscape Composer for Dummies_)