Re: PC hardware requirements for TWs

Subject: Re: PC hardware requirements for TWs
From: "Metzger, Lucinda" <cmetzger -at- DUKANE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 16:22:30 -0500

Sarah, I've got a Pentium w/ 64 MB RAM and a Millenium II video card w/
4 MB WRAM to run my Ventura 7, CorelDRAW, Corel Photopaint, etc. and it
AIN'T ENOUGH. (I don't have a sound card and speakers simply because I
don't need it for my job.) It sure would be nice to have a machine that
could handle my big files. It would also be nice to have a 21" monitor
instead of the 17" I've got (but hey, the 17" is much better than the
standard-size one I had to use for a few years).

Your boss's comment got my dander up because I had to fight for what I
have now, yet the developers at my company have much faster computers,
and are able to effortlessly acquire hardware upgrades and huge
monitors. Now, I've never done any software programming so I really
can't say how much more memory-intensive that is than what I'm doing.
But it really irks me that I've had such problems convincing people that
my applications require a computer that's more sophisticated than the
ones being used by my non-tech-writer coworkers who are light users of
MS Office.

In my opinion, my PC should be as powerful as the developers' PCs.