Web Works Publisher

Subject: Web Works Publisher
From: Paul Carr <solas -at- JPS -dot- NET>
Date: Sat, 20 Jun 1998 04:45:14 -0700

>From: "Amy E. Brown" <abrown -at- OPENMARKET -dot- COM>
>Subject: Conversion from Frame into HTML Help

>Has anyone out there done an HTML Help conversion with WebWorks
>Publisher? If so, how did it turn out?

We are experimenting with WWP even now. The results looks promising, but
it takes forever.

Based on multiple emails I have received on this subject, I would say
that, overall, people are able to use the product. However, I have
received more than one email from people saying they had thrown up their
hands and walked away WWP because of all the havoc it was causing (such
as Frame bombs - something we have seen). Others said that, yes, it
takes forever and a day to set up the Frame docs and the WWP mapping and
the WWP macros and such, but, eventually, they were successful.

One serious problem with WWP is the lack of any sort of visual record of
what their maps (styles, tags) actually look like when they come out of
the conversion. You have to do a ridiculous amount of guessing and
experimenting when setting up your maps, since you don't really know at
all what a WWP map will look like when it's done.

I spent a lot of time creating some documents that list and actually show
what the WWP tags look like in HTML (and winhelp). This is something
that WWP (Quadralay) should include with their software, even the trial
download.

I found out that there are WWP classes in parts of the US. I am going to
try to have my fearless leader send me to one (if we buy the software -
not a certainty). I have the feeling that a class will be very
beneficial, considering the likely need to make fairly complex
conversions.

Paul Carr
solas -at- jps -dot- net