Re: Intranet Manager Job Description

Subject: Re: Intranet Manager Job Description
From: Barry Campbell <barry -at- WEBVERANDA -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 11:04:19 -0400

At 09:05 AM 6/22/98 -0500, Steve Taylor wrote:

>I have been asked to draft a job description for an Intranet Manager. At
>this point, it's pretty wide open, as the position will be created based on
>this job description.
>
>If anyone has any ideas or has done this previously, it would be helpful.
>Once I compile all the information and come up with a proposed job
>description, I'll post the final version for everyone's reference.

Steve,

Here are some thoughts on what an "Intranet Manager" might be responsible
for.

-- ANALYSIS

Study the flow of information between departments and groups within
the organization, and identify new content for automation/Web distribution.
("How are we exchanging information now? How can it be made more efficient?
What information do other groups/satellite offices need that they're not
getting now, or not getting on a timely basis?")

Note: You'll be amazed by how many "quick-kill" projects (easy to
identify, easy and quick to implement) will suggest themselves after
even cursory study. Focusing on small problems that can be solved
quickly, at least at first, will build your reputation and enable you
to tackle the larger and longer-term projects with more management
support.

-- INFRASTRUCTURE AND STANDARDS DEVELOPMENT

Develop supportive infrastructure (e.g., standards, templates, directory
structures) for content creation and distribution. ("How can we make
it easier for our novice Web authors to create and disseminate content?")

-- DIRECT SUPPORT

Work with groups who have *already* identified content that they want
to place on the intranet and help them realize their goals. ("HR wants
to get the 401(k) information onto the Web.")

-- TRAINING

Assess the need for training for web authors and editors; develop
and deliver training as needed. ("Another dozen copies of FrontPage 98
have arrived, and we want to distribute them to the Sales and Marketing
staff. Can you help us get up to speed?")

-- TECHNICAL COORDINATION

Work closely with the IT department (the folks who maintain our
internal and external servers) and web application developers within
the organization to ensure the continuation of a common, stable
development environment for web authors. ("No, we can't install FrontPage
98 until all the server extensions have been upgraded.")

-- PERSONNEL MANAGEMENT

If the Intranet Manager will have a staff, all of the management
responsibilities that go along with managing people (scheduling,
goal-setting, workload balancing, and above all, *listening*)
go along with this position, too. :-)

Hope this helps...

--
Barry Campbell | Why people tear the seams of anyone's dreams
barry -at- webveranda -dot- com | is over my head... (Duke Ellington/Bob Russell,