Re: Reassuring language

Subject: Re: Reassuring language
From: "McDonald, Nancy (The Registry)" <McDonalN -at- LCI -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 16:41:37 -0400

One time a long long time ago, I must have stuck in some adjectives
or adverbs like this into my documentation, and my reviewer (project manager
for database system) told me never to plug in marketing language... that's
what those adverbs are: marketing terms! It's supposed to (!) work in
advertising, but that's not the job of a user-guide writer. We work best
with active verbs. '-)
HTH:
Nancy McDonald
Technical Writer, Consulting Services Manager
The Renaissance Worldwide, Inc. (www.rens.com)
Columbus, OH, US

> > On Monday, June 22, 1998 2:02 PM, John David Hickey
> > [SMTP:jdavid -at- farabi -dot- com] wrote:
> >
> > > I'm updating a user's guide and online help that another
> > writer created.
> > > This other writer peppered his procedures with reassuring words like
> > > "simply" and "easily" ("Simply click here" or "You can
> > easily do this").
> > > find these words are extraneous and do nothing to reassure
> > the reader. If
> > > anything, they would make me nervous ("Now don't worry Mr.
> > Hickey. This
> > > simple procedure won't hurt a bit... <yank>").
> > >
> > > My question is, do these reassuring words help the user at
> > all or they
> > just
> > > fluff?
>
> ~