Re: WORD 97 - combining styles on one line

Subject: Re: WORD 97 - combining styles on one line
From: "Bergen, Jane" <janeb -at- ANSWERSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 17:06:17 -0500

> From: Bellomy, James [mailto:bellomyj -at- HUACHUCA-EMH31 -dot- ARMY -dot- MIL]
>
> My style guide requires use of a heading followed by paragraph text on
> the same line.
>
> Is there any way to place two styles on the same line. I would like
> have a heading style followed by body text style and be able
> to use the
> automated TOC function.

First, which program are you talking about: Word, Frame, etc.?

The answer is yes and no. Yes, you can create a paragraph style, say
Heading 2, then overlay a character style, say HeadText, for the text
part of the paragraph. It will look like you want it to. Both Word and
Frame handle paragraph and character styles.

But no, neither Word nor Frame will give you a bug-free automated TOC
function with this approach however. In Word, you can create something
called a TOC Entry (Alt+Shift+O <thats the letter O as in Ohio, not a
zero) that can be any text you want. For example, my chapter title
(Heading 1) is "Getting Started" but I want it to appear in the TOC as
this: "1 - Getting Started" so I generate a TOC and have my TOC Entry as
replacing Heading 1. I'm sure Frame has some similar kind of workaround.

On the other hand, if you're using FrameMaker, you can use side heads,
which is what it sounds like you want to do. Word can't do sideheads, so
you'd have to put the two styles in a two-column table, but keeping the
right margins, proportions, etc. in a Word table is sometimes tricky.

Hope that helps,

Jane