Re: buttons graphics in documentation

Subject: Re: buttons graphics in documentation
From: joanne grey <j_grey -at- WRITEANGLES -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 21:00:06 -0700

Ginny Allemann wrote:

> Should little screenshots of icons and buttons be placed in-line in print
> documentation (not on-line)?

Ginny,

I think that anything that detracts from the readability of a document
should be re-thought.

What I've done in the past when documenting a piece of software with
many icons is to provide an icon glossary either in the beginning or at
the end of the document. I guess you could even provide one for each
section if there were many icons. I don't think I have ever referenced
an icon without calling it by name or at least function. I'll also
briefly describe an icon if it is especially obtuse, such as "Also
available is the Broadcast icon, which looks like a small camera." or
whatever - of course, that's a usability issue of another color. :-)

-joanne
Joanne Grey j_grey -at- writeangles -dot- com
Write Angles www.writeangles.com

The hardest thing in life is to know which bridge to cross
and which bridge to burn.