Tech Dictionary (English-German/German-English) -- Answers

Subject: Tech Dictionary (English-German/German-English) -- Answers
From: Michael Koch <mhkoch -at- SIRIUS -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 01:43:29 -0700

Hi there,

It has been said before and I say it again: if you have a problem turn to your fellow techwr-lers, they disband the illusion of the lone writer within minutes. :-)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my earlier email re dictionaries for technical terms. Here's a summary of the responses I have received--I've looked into the Web resources, and they look promising. I still have to check out the print sources. The Ernst dictionary comes with high recommendations as well as a stiff price tag, I've been told. Here goes:

Resources in print:
-- _Ernst R. Comprehensive Dictionary of Engineering and Technology._ Volume I
German-English, Volume II English - German. Oscar Brandstetter Verlag.
Wiesbaden.
--_Routledge German Technical Dictionary/Universal-Worterbuch der Technik Englisch_ (1996), reviewed in the May 1998 issue of STC's _Technical Communication_
--_Routledge German Dictionary of Environmental Technology on CD-ROM/Worterbuch Umwelttechnologie_ (1998); also _Routledge German Dictionary of Environmental Technology/Worterbuch Umwelttechnologie_
--_Routledge-Langenscheidt German Dictionary of Chemistry and Chemical Technology/Worterbuch Chemie und chemische Technik Englisch_ (1997)
--_Routledge-Langenscheidt German Dictionary of Medicine/Worterbuch Medizin Englisch_ (1997)
--_Routledge German Dictionary of Information Technology/Worterbuch Informationstechnologie_ (1997)

Resources on the Web:
http://www.bucknell.edu/~rbeard/diction.html
http://www.logos.it/

Thanks again,
Michael

Michael Koch
Publication Services & Project Management
2035 Pleasant Valley Ave.
Oakland, CA 94611
510.923.0982
mhkoch -at- sirius -dot- com