Re: But, people *like* fluff. (Was: reassuring language)

Subject: Re: But, people *like* fluff. (Was: reassuring language)
From: "Huber, Mike" <mrhuber -at- SOFTWARE -dot- ROCKWELL -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 08:38:03 -0400

I'm not sure it's the fluff that sells the books, but what the fluff
signals.

I buy those books because they won't make me feel like an idiot for not
already knowing that I needed the *left handed* snark whiffler with the
*blue* label. The author of "Snark Whiffling for Geniuses" is afraid of
insulting me by telling me things I should already know.

The fluff means that the author has the whole toolbox open. If an idea is
easier to communicate as a dialog (like, where two characters talk, not the
computer kind) or a comic strip, so be it. And if the idea is easier to
communicate in a more traditional tech writing style, the author can slip
that in, too.

---
Office:
mike -dot- huber -at- software -dot- rockwell -dot- com
Home:
nax -at- execpc -dot- com