Re: Offsite Management

Subject: Re: Offsite Management
From: Jon Leer <jleer -at- LTC -dot- MV -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 1998 13:13:56 -0400

Personally, I think that managing offsite personnel should not be the
hassle that you claim it to be. Research, testing, and meetings may
require onsite presence. However, writing is by nature a solitude task -
where it is performed should only depend on where the tools are located.

The near disasters that I have encountered in my work have most often been
initiated by other departments (e.g., engineering or marketing), and been
negotiated without requiring writers to be present (at least physically).

Managing writers has nothing to do with being "physically present". The
common element here is communication no matter whether the personnel are
onsite or offsite.

Communication doesn't always work efficiently by having people onsite. Case
in point: I was on a contract recently which required being onsite
(manager's demand). I needed key information to complete my manual. The
engineers were onsite as was I, but neither the engineers nor their
managers could be reached. This went on for days. I couldn't find them in
the building, and when I did, they were too busy to talk. What eventually
cleared the logjam was a slew of well placed emails, followed by phone
calls to voice mailboxes which finally prompted responses when the
engineers were able to respond... typically between the wee hours of 12 AM
and 6 AM.

Frankly, in most instances requiring workers to be onsite is simply a
copout for ineffective management methods or fear of lack of productivity.
Regarding the inability to keep track of productivity of offsite personnel,
spend a day monitoring onsite people. You will be amazed at how much waste
goes on for the sake of having your people under your thumb.

Jon Leer