Re: Volunteer TW Services (was: Ethical Questions)

Subject: Re: Volunteer TW Services (was: Ethical Questions)
From: "Palmer, Phyllis" <PPalmer -at- SPHERECOM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 18:00:38 -0500

My initial take on this discussion was, "What a good idea! volunteering
your skills as a TW!" But then I started to reflect on my years in a
non-profit org...

From my experience with non-profits, some of their less graceful
attempts at using "volunteers" come from the years they spent in
depending on volunteers who have good intentions (but if push meets
shove) fail in the deliverables area because of their real job(s). It
is difficult to motivate volunteers to the organizations' goals (there
are other agendas going on), and it is also hard for the TW or other
volunteer to fully grasp the needs of the organization when their tail
isn't on the line.

Let's face it, if a person's bread and butter depends on the type of job
they are doing, they are more accountable. There are some wonderful,
committed volunteers out there, but the TW zone of volunteering should
be very carefully undertook.

My humble and forthright opinion.
Phyllis
Illinois