Re: FrontPage 98

Subject: Re: FrontPage 98
From: Cheryle Wiese <cjwiese -at- HOTMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 22:52:55 PDT

<snip>
Given that logic, we should all be using troff on dumb terminals.
Programs such as HomeSite, Front Page, etc. exist to serve a need. Lots
of folks don't want to learn HTML.</snip>

Or what about those of us who are part of a team of TWO, who have (as
only part of our jobs)developed and maintain a very large Intranet site
for a 1200 employee company? Yes, I know HTML, and use it regularly to
tweak my FrontPage pages - but as someone who has had to convert several
hundred pages of Word documents to HTML - I'm darn grateful for the RTF
to HTML conversion capability and the WYSIWIG interface that makes
tedious table formatting less time-consuming.

In an ideal world, I would use Notepad, beat my chest, and say
"Yes - I wrote this from scratch!" But at least in my environment,
it's not practical.

<snip>
These programs are great for folks who want to create basic or somewhat
flashy sites quickly and simply.</snip>

They are great, but not *always* simple. :) Sometimes FrontPage's
"features" lead me to bang my head against my monitor in frustration,
but 95% of the time it is a great time-saver, and increases my
productively greatly - and this makes my bosses very happy.

I am also aware that there are better WYSIWYG tools than FrontPage.
But those of us slaving away in cube farms in the corporate universe
don't always have a choice about which tool to buy ...

Cheryle