Gender and tech writing

Subject: Gender and tech writing
From: Laurel Gilbert <Laurel -at- NICHE-ASSOCIATES -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 09:20:04 -0600

I just read a pretty depressing statistic.

In the state of Utah (where I live) women are *still* only making $0.62
for every dollar made by men. Nationally (the U.S.), those numbers are
a *bit* better; women are now making $0.72 for every male dollar.

Ugh.

Are there any sallary survery's that look at how gender impacts tech
writing? Am I lucky enough to be in a job where I'm pretty close to
what my male counterparts are making, or am I just ignorant of the fact
that the guys down the hall *are* making almost $0.40 more per hour than
I am?

Any comments?

Laurel