Re: Gender and tech writing

Subject: Re: Gender and tech writing
From: Sara Schertz <SSchertz -at- INTERFACESOFTWARE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 11:29:06 -0500

Down the left side of the table, the survey lists a number of categories
- employment level, education level, gender, age, and years of
experience. Across the top, it lists the percentiles (Base, Mean, 10%,
25%, 50%, 75%, and 90%). It then shows the result for each category,
broken out by percentiles.

Unfortunately, it doesn't combine the categories. So no, you can't see
the experience levels broken out by gender. You can only compare
percentiles - what are the women in the 90th percentile making compared
with the men in the 90th percentile - that sort of thing.

Of course, the survey is a relatively small sample (643 respondents),
and, as I noted, more women replied than men, so I wouldn't rely heavily
on the results. Who knows, maybe all the lower-paid men didn't bother to
respond in the US.