Re: Unpaid?

Subject: Re: Unpaid?
From: George Mena <George -dot- Mena -at- ESSTECH -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 10:23:16 -0700

To whom it may concern:

You're probably not underpaid that much ($10/hr is a good training wage
for now, but $14-$15/hr lets you pay your bills more) but I'd definitely
make my pitch for a raise at some point after your first year
anniversary. Get at least a year's worth of experience meeting
deadlines and pumping out good quality documentation under your belt.
And try to make a trip into the office if possible, even if the office
is in another state. Helps to keep your face in your boss's head.
Make sure he's seen you lately.

If you've got a really good boss, he'll bump your salary up so that
you'll stay on. Not being in the office every day probably is working
against you, as he can't actually interact with you in person to get a
feel for what you're really like on a daily basis. I think that has to
be factored into any negotiations more than anything else. People we
see every day, know and like are more likely to get the better raises
and recognition from management. Someone working in another state and
doing the telecommute bit, I think, is going to be treated a bit
differently.

Either way, though, there's nothing wrong with shopping yourself around.
Even if you get a raise, shop around anyway! You just might be that
special someone that *another* company is looking for! You've nothing
to lose and everything to gain. :D

George Mena