Re: Unpaid?

Subject: Re: Unpaid?
From: Nicholas Russon <nicholasr -at- PCDOCS -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 13:36:51 -0400

"Anon. E. Muss" wrote:

> I write internal end user documentation (software).
> This includes using Word and FrontPage to create printed and
> intranet/Web docs. I make $10 an hour. Am I underpaid?

I couldn't find a teenager in my neighbourhood to mow my grass
for $10 per hour! Hmmm. Maybe if I offered $10 U.S.? ;-)

Do you get any benefits? Do they pay for your computer and phone
line? Do they provide software or do you have to purchase that
yourself? What about other compensation for out-of-pocket expenses?

> Let me make it clear that I like my job. However, since my year
> aniversery is coming up soon I want to ask for a raise. Am I justified
> in doing so? Any pointers? Should I move on? At what point does
> working for a good company/boss stop outweighing money?

A company which is underpaying you this much _CANNOT_
be a "good" company. Wait out your year, make your pitch for
a big raise, and if (when) you get turned down, start
interviewing for other positions.

Regards,
Nicholas

Nicholas Russon (nicholasr -at- pcdocs -dot- com or nrusson -at- interlog -dot- com)
PC DOCS Group International

Visit my TH&B Historical Society site:
http://www.interlog.com/~nrusson/thb/thb_home.html