Re: The word "documentation"

Subject: Re: The word "documentation"
From: David Warren <David -dot- Warren -at- NEXTEL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:25:40 -0400

YES! Most of us create *documents* and not *documentation*!
*Documentation* sounds like one of those bastardized attempted
collective nouns pretending to be adjectives, such as *graphical*
instead of *graphic*.

However, I would not react so strongly to *software documentation*,
although it is a little frustrating mentally to override years of
exposure to industry jargon.

Now if Mark can just get David Friedman et al to raise the t/w pay
rates at OSI/Folsom to those of the engineers....say "Howdy" to Jim
Grant for me, if he's still there....

David T. Warren
Pubs. Mgr., Nextel

Subject: The word "documentation"
Author: Mark Dempsey <mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM> at INTERNET
Date: 6/23/98 12:33 PM

Websters' first (and most applicable) definition for "documentation" is
this: "the act or an instance of furnishing or authenticating with
documents."

It's always annoyed me that this perfectly good noun has also been used
to described manuals, guides, etc. "Documentation" is the *act* of
writing manuals, according to Websters, not the manuals themselves.

I write to see if you'll at least hesitate before calling the product of
your efforts the "d" word, and call them "manuals" or "guides." It'd be
just one less annoying thing in this world, for me at least...

Cheers,

-- mailto:Mark -dot- Dempsey -at- osi -dot- com
--
-- Mark Dempsey