Re: Pay negotiations: Your power = BATNA * chutzpah

Subject: Re: Pay negotiations: Your power = BATNA * chutzpah
From: JIMCHEVAL -at- AOL -dot- COM
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:39:37 EDT

In a message dated 98-06-25 14:54:14 EDT, mxd2 -at- OSI -dot- COM writes:

<< The BATNA (Best Alternative to Negotiated Agreement) principal operates
in in all negotiations. Your power in any negotiation is directly
proportional to your BATNA. Sure, you can negotiate a raise in any
case, but if you have an alternative employer waiting in the wings, your
present employer *must* listen. If you have no such alternative, you're
stuck with whatever the employer offers. >>
Well, sort of. A little plain chutzpah* can change the balance of power
though.

The first time I negotiated my own rate, I asked for the highest rate I ever
got (I didn't know any better) even though if I hadn't got that project, I was
in DEEP trouble. The guy I was negotiating with was actually kind of a shark,
but he bought it.

When the business manager tried to talk me into a lump deal right after, I
still held to my (extremely tenuous) position. And made multiples of what I
would have if I'd let him talk me into that.

Raw nerve can take you a good distance farther than you have any real right to
go...

Jim Chevallier
North Hollywood

* New Yorkers will need no translation. Otherwise, if you don't know the
word, look it up - it's a good one.

== TW page - http://members.aol.com/jimcheval/twone.htm ==
== Ego page - http:www.gis.net/~jimcheval ==