Re: Palette shifts when capturing Java applications

Subject: Re: Palette shifts when capturing Java applications
From: Barbara Karst-Sabin <Phillinion -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 1998 15:43:14 EDT

<< I experience a palette shift when I capture any Java window in a 256
color desktop. If I put the desktop down to 16 colors, the problem goes
away. Has anyone else experienced this, and if so, is there a workaround
at 256 colors?

Not sure about that, but there is a very good reference:
<coloring web graphics.2>
that deals with color shifts from one application to another and so on. It's
fairly heavy into color theory, but it's very clearly written, with lots of
palettes for comparison. If you do a lot of moving from app to app and on and
off the web, you might give it a look. It's not cheap (~$50) but it comes
with a CD (IBM and Mac compatible) with palettes, sample HTML color schemes,
"browser safe" clip art and so on.

I know this sounds like an ad, but after working with video graphics and
seeing the sometimes horrifying changes that occurred just moving from one
platform to another, I think it's a really great resource. The pubisher has
a website that might provide more info:
http://www.mcp.com/newriders

BJ