Re: Slave wages or not?

Subject: Re: Slave wages or not?
From: Rowena Hart <rhart -at- INTRINSYC -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 26 Jun 1998 10:11:54 -0700

All of this talk about working for $10 an hour is making
me nostalgic for the days when I *did* earn slave wages.

The best experiences I ever had as a tech. writer came from
jobs where I learned a million new things while struggling to
complete massive projects for little start-ups.

They paid me so pathetically that I usually had to work
weekends selling shoes, pumping gas or making pizzas.
BUT, I was held in high esteem because I was doing some-
thing that the company *really* valued. I was given a lot of
freedom to learn on the job. My recommendations were
given a lot of weight -- usually I reported straight to the
president (and owner). I had a lot of responsibility, and I
had a lot of fun.

I love my job now, and I can't say no to the big paycheque.
However, I can't help but think fondly of the days when getting
paid $10 an hour *just to write* was a privilege.

Cheers,

Rowena

Rowena Hart
Technical Writer