Re: Unpaid

Subject: Re: Unpaid
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- AXIONET -dot- COM>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 18:20:59 -0400

I think there's a couple of issues to this thread:

First, is $10/hour a fair wage for technical writing? The consensus
seems to be that it isn't, even for a starting position.

Second, is $10/hour even an acceptable wage? Again, there seems to
be a consensus that, in some cases, it will be. People who want
experience or who are happy just having a writing job may find the
rate acceptable.

However, there's a couple of other issues that people should think about
as well.

First, under what conditions is $10/hour being offered? In particular,
is the employer aware of how low the rate is? If so, then I hope that
the employer's name is being circulated. Locally, I know of one employer
(a writer himself, and a prominent STC member) who always insists that
nobody should go below $20/ hour at the very least, yet who is known to
routinely offer $15. People who have been caught him at this
inconsistency are
spreading the word, and rightly so, I think. This kind of information is
especially important to contractors (if only so we don't waste our
time).

Second, while not everyone is concerned about other writers, maybe
people
should think twice before taking a cut-rate job. Although some employers
are
giving writers programmers' wages, there have always been some who try
to pay
writers as though they were clerical workers. If too many people take
cut-rate
jobs,then both the reputation and the salaries of writers as a whole are
going
to suffer.

--
Bruce Byfield, Outlaw Communications
Co-ordinator ,Vancouver Technical Communicators' Co-op List

"Unjust and spiteful criticism taught me more than a quiet acceptance
would have done, and for that, I thank those blundering judges who were
responsible for my education. The motivations behind their judgments
enlightened me and allowed me to enjoy a clear conscience. A sincere
mind turns everything to its advantage, and that which would discourage
mere vanity redoubles the fervor of real commitment."
-George Sand