Re: re icons in running text

Subject: Re: re icons in running text
From: Scott Miller <smiller -at- CORP -dot- PORTAL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 09:58:33 -0700

I'm late too, but here are some reasons why including icons in running
text is a bad idea:

- Screws up the line spacing, which is not just a cosmetic problem. It
makes the text harder to read, especially online.

- Doesn't inform the user about what the icon is for. Some of these
icons are pretty cryptic, so you have something like "Click {picture of
a brain with an arrow through it}." The user doesn't know what will
happen when clicking this icon.

- It requires two types of mental processing for one thought. The poor
ol' brain has to switch gears from verbal to visual. Bummer.

- If it's a choice between writing instructions for a menu choice versus
the toolbar equivalent, then there are other issues:

o It doesn't work so good with editable tool bars.
An icon might be in the UI, or it might not.

o Icons are harder to find in the UI than menu items.

o Some menu commands don't have toolbar icons,
so you end up being inconsistent.

o Menus display keyboard shortcuts, icons don't.

o Toolbar icons sometimes behave differently
than their toolbar equivalents. For example,
the Word Print icon prints, the File - Print
command displays the Print dialog box.

I like to include both the icon and the words, for example:

Choose File - Print.
{Picture of print icon}

- Scott Miller
smiller -at- portal -dot- com