Icons in running text

Subject: Icons in running text
From: Cyndy Davis <kivrin -at- ZDNETMAIL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 10:57:58 -0700

I agree with all of the reasons not to include icons in running text. To counter this, I have a solution that works great for our manuals.

We use FrameMaker and have about 1 1/2 inches of white space on the left side of each page. Right by the heading that discusses the action (File/Print), we insert a frame with the icon and the shortcut keys in the white space. This way if a user is just scanning for the shortcut key, or looking for the icon (What does this button do?), the solution is easy to find.

Cyndy Davis
Technical Writer
Lenexa, KS

Free web-based email, anytime, anywhere!
ZDNet Mail - http://www.zdnetmail.com