Re: Working Wages (getting long)

Subject: Re: Working Wages (getting long)
From: Andrew Plato <aplato -at- EASYSTREET -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:53:55 -0700

See responses below.

John's, ideas are very popular in some circles. I think they have a fundemental
flaw - they ascribe to the notion that labor has some set, universal value.
This is what our buddies Marx and Engles thought. And we know how well their
ideas worked out.

Labor is worth what the markets will bear. Moreover, as more and more cheap
labor floods a market - there is less and less room for the expensive people.
This is why so many unions feared NAFTA. They did not want companies to have a
steady stream of cheap, Mexican labor.

Tech writing is no different. For each 10.00 an hour writer, the rates for the
rest of us get depressed. Especially as the supply of writers increases.