FWD: Giving Feedback on Project Management

Subject: FWD: Giving Feedback on Project Management
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 15:05:31 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I am a tech writing consultant at a small company. I was hired to develop a
user and reference manual, and online help system. The project was poorly
managed from the start, which led to outrageous overtime and scrambling to
deliver halfway decent documentation. Now, the president of the company is
asking all staff (including me) to give feedback regarding how the project
was run, what we could do better next time, etc. I have some good things to
say, but also some critical comments, mostly concerning my immediate
manager who lacks the necessary project management skills. Because of his
poor judgment and bad decision-making, the documentation really suffered.
My question is how to tactfully give feedback about his performance without
losing my job or causing any hard feelings. I really don't want to cause
trouble for him, but I do have some useful suggestions about how to better
accomplish the job. Any feedback, posted to the list, would be appreciated.