Re: fostering plagiarism

Subject: Re: fostering plagiarism
From: Michael Burke <miburke -at- WSICORP -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 07:35:26 -0500

>I read the article
>(http://www.mercurycenter.com/premium/business/docs/webside28.htm)
>and though not a professional 'webbie' sent a message to them in
>disgust. I thought we were all taught not to plagiarize...

Assuming the concern is with the paragraph in the article that
suggests:

Look for pages you like on the Web, save them into
your page-making program, then cut out the content
on the pages and put yours in.

This is quite a common suggestion from those who would teach HTML. I
can't recall exactly which books I've seen this in, but I read a few
texts when I was learning HTML and I did see that suggestion posed.
The authors suggested using existing web pages almost as a template
for creating your won.

I'm not advocating the practice, just mentioning that it is more
widespread that we might think.

Michael Burke
Technical Writer
WSI Corporation