FWD: Followup from Original Underpaid

Subject: FWD: Followup from Original Underpaid
From: "Eric J. Ray" <ejray -at- RAYCOMM -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 09:48:28 -0600

Name withheld upon request. Please reply on list.

I want to thank everyone who has responded to my original post. I also
wanted to offer some clarification on the subject as well as a
summary so far (this summary is not comprehensive - just some
highlights).

There was a full spectrum of responses to my "slave" wage of $10 -
everything from - 'Probably ok if you are really new to tech writing
and do not have a degree etc.' to 'You should be making $60 an hour.'

For those of you who are concerned that I may respond to a salary
survey thereby ruining the numbers for the rest of you - I promise I
won't. :)

My original question of whether or not I was underpaid was a
rhetorical one - I know I am. What I did want to find out was what
should I be making given my situation and HOW to ask for that raise. I
did not post the question so that I could whine about my low wages.

I assure you that the company I work for is a good one - that is to
say - the people are nice, intelligent, respect what I do etc. etc.
There were a number of responses from people who had been in my
situation before - that is - they took a low paying job because they
needed the experience and because they liked and respected the
company.Those responses in particular helped me to put this all in
perspective.

Almost everyone said that my location was of primary importance. I
live about 20 miles from Seattle, Washington.

I plan to do some more research into the salaries of the tech writers
in my area. And I plan to look for another job - but not until I have
the experience that I think I need.

Please keep in mind that:
I do not have a tech writing degree (I do have a BA)
I had no real tech writing experience to speak of
I do not get benefits
I am not the sole income for my family
I am the lone and first tech writer for my company
I use the company's computer/software and I get reimbursed for
expenses.
My tools experience is limited to Word97, PageMaker, and FrontPage.
I work out of state and at home.

I do not intend to *demand* a huge raise. I plan to ask for something
that I am likely to get. My goal is to further my best interests and
my career not burn any bridges. Despite several suggestions I am not
going to give up tech writing or go work at McDonald's.

I want to extend a special thanks to Sella Rush for giving me such
great advice and input.