Subject: Summary: TW Courses in Dallas; Value of TW Degrees
From: Mary Reynolds <mreynold -at- NORTEL -dot- CA>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 09:54:00 CDT

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query about technical writing
courses in the Dallas area. According to those who responded, these
institutions offer courses:

1. Texas Tech (which is in Lubbock) offers a distance learning
master's degree in Technical Communication.

2. Richland College (part of the Dallas County Community College
system) has a technical writing certificate (18 hours) and a chapter
of STC. Skill-set courses are offered evenings and weekends, and
tuition is cheap. "About one third to one half of the program is
truly worthwhile," one response stated (although another said it
has a good reputation.) Brookhaven College is part of the same system
and also offers a TW certificate, but I didn't hear from anyone with
first-hand knowledge.

3. The University of North Texas offers a Master's degree in
English with a specialization in technical writing and has a student
chapter of STC. Several respondents said this was the best program
in the area and "one of the better ones in the country." The director
there, Brenda Sims, says non-degree students can take up to 9 hours
of graduate classes. UNT also offers an "endorsement" in tech writing,
3 undergraduate courses in TW principles, editing, etc. I guess this
is for undergrad English majors.

Those enrolled in TW degree programs or who have TW degrees
point out that academic courses have provided "professional benefits
beyond belief," to quote one response. "So far, every class I have
taken there has offered me information that I was able to
IMMEDIATELY apply to my job, practical stuff as well as theory."

No one said their degree really helped them GET a job; employers
are more impressed with specific software skills. Several people
recommended that I just focus on the learning the skills and
software programs I need to do my work. But several said the
degree has meant a lot to them personally; this work is not just
a job to them, but a profession.

I think what I need to do is figure out what will make me a better
and more valuable technical writer and take those courses, re-evalu-
ating each semester. If I get close to a degree or a certificate, why
not go for it??? Here's to lifelong learning!

Thanks again for your responses.

Mary Reynolds
Technical Writer
Nortel