Re: Captions for screen shots

Subject: Re: Captions for screen shots
From: Suzette Seveny <sseveny -at- PETVALU -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 12:24:01 -0400

Whether or not I use captions on screen shots depends on the type of
documentation I am creating. For user documentation, I try to embed my
screen shots into a paragraph that talks about it. I really hate seeing
user guides that say "the following screen will be displayed", or "this is
the window that will be displayed" or anything like that. Because I am
"talking" to the screen shot, I do not use captions.

In Reference and Technical manuals, I usually have the screen shots on
their own line or paragraph. I use captions such as "Order Editing
Window". One of the reasons I do this is because I include a screen shot
index at the back of the manual.

Just how I do things.

Suzette Seveny
Markham, Ontario, Canada
sseveny -at- petvalu -dot- com or suzette -at- yesic -dot- com