Re: introducing diagrams

Subject: Re: introducing diagrams
From: "D. Margulis" <ampersandvirgule -at- WORLDNET -dot- ATT -dot- NET>
Date: Thu, 2 Jul 1998 18:16:53 -0400

K McHutchion wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I didn't find this in the archives so I hope I'm not repeating old
> topics....
>
> How do you introduce a graphic or diagram within a manual? For example:
>
> "In the following figure..."
> "The following diagram shows..."
> "This diagram is..."
>
> Also, do you end the introductory line with a colon?
>
> thanks
> karen

Karen,

You will find it far easier to lay out your pages if you avoid the
problem altogether. Consistently number all figures and refer to them by
number in the text. "Figure 7-2 shows . . . "; "The widget (see Figure
7-2) is perpendicular to the fistarus."

This avoids the awkward situation where the sentence ends two inches
from the bottom of the page and the figure is five inches high.

HTH

Dick