Losing Sight of What is Important

Subject: Losing Sight of What is Important
From: Dal Gemmell <dal -at- LION -dot- SYSCOM -dot- COM -dot- TW>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:27:27 +0800

To the Technical Writers of the World,

By any standard I am entry-level tech writer and I know that some people,
after reading this initial disclaimer, will discontinue reading this message
and move on to the next. This is unfortunate, but can't be helped.

In my opinion some people are losing sight of what is important about our
list. I think we, as professionals, should try and maintain a higher
standard of our postings. I know the majority do this, but it really isn't
helpful to anyone when people become personal and hurl flames at each other.
I am positive this isn't what this list was originally intended for. The
fact that I am inexperienced (and I am sure I'm not alone) means that I am
interested in what some of the more experienced writers have to post about
certain subjects and hopefully I can learn something from their experience.
To quote and old cliche, why reinvent the wheel? Not everyone may agree with
their opinion, but nitpicking their post isn't constructive to anyone.
Nobody should feel apprehensive about posting a message if their intention
is to try and help people.

One of the truly amazing things about this list is that people from India to
Europe, from North America to Asia can communicate with one another about
technical writing. They have and hopefully will continue to do so. Not only
does this list bridge the gap internationally, but also organizationally; a
lone writer working for a small company can communicate with writers working
for a Fortune 500 company, private contractors can communicate with
full-time workers. I hope this list can continue to be a valuable reference
and helpful tool for all technical writers of the world.

-Dal Gemmell

Dal Gemmell
Syscom Computer Engineering Co.
dal -at- lion -dot- syscom -dot- com -dot- tw