Re: Marketing Writing Articles

Subject: Re: Marketing Writing Articles
From: Rahel Bailie <rbailie -at- CASTLETON -dot- COM>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 11:11:52 -0700

>It is a completely different mind set from straight technical writing.

I, as well, do some marcom in addition to technical writing. I don't see
the process as being that different, though the product is. Similarity:
We explain to potential customers (vs. actual customers)the features of
our product and how they work. Disparity: Part of our marketing material
is application notes, in which we give potential customers ideas of how
our product can be used in the real world. Part of the technical
material is configuration and troubleshooting instructions for our
product, so it can be used in the real world. In both cases, I structure
material for ease of comprehension, fill in the developers'/marketers'
leaps of logic, and edit for clarity.

On the marketing side, I end up with a one-page, double-sided page of
text. On the technical writing side, I end up with a 200-page manual.

Rahel A. Bailie, Senior Technical Writer
Castleton Network Systems Corporation
Burnaby, BC, Canada
Tel 604-293-0039 (5432) / Fax 604-293-0047
http://www.castleton.com