Re: Search Engines

Subject: Re: Search Engines
From: P Diller <pdiller -at- MAIL -dot- STATE -dot- MO -dot- US>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 07:51:36 -0400

> << You could always try www.dogpile.com. It uses all the major search
> engines simultaneously: Lycos, yahoo, altavista, etc. It sorts
> the matches by search engine, giving you the option of pursuing
> the thread in one search engine or another, or all of them if you
> prefer. >>
>
> As a librarian, I was taught never to use Meta engines for searches because
> the formulas that the individual search engines use are so different that
> you will hardly ever get what you want to get.

On the contrary, I find metasearch engines to be excellent - at least as
a first step - when doing research. Until I learned about dogpile on
this listserv, I'd been using another metasearch engine called
"metacrawler." I'm going to test out dogpile for awhile.

If I don't get what I want from metacrawler (or now, dogpile), *then*
I'll go to a specific search engine type.

Another excellent resource re: search engines is www.beaucoup.com -
which is a directory of search engines. Some of the search engines in
this directory are extremely specific. Examples: There's a search engine
for all books (in their entirety) online. There's another search engine
for biblical translations/versions online.

P Diller