Re: Packaging software

Subject: Re: Packaging software
From: "Branchaud, Paul" <pbranchaud -at- UTSOFT -dot- COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 09:59:48 -0400

Tracy wrote:

You could turn your documentation into a marketing tool. :-)
Document
the product in its entirety, with a footer on every page that
says "Not
all functions listed here are included in your version of Fubar
Light.
To add more functions to your software, please call xxx-xxxx."

Excellent suggestion Tracy! This is the same approach my company is
taking with regards to the product we are developing. The product itself
has four modules, each of which has several configuration options for
the purchaser. I wrote the documentation from the perspective that the
product is delivered "all dressed" to the customer, with the caveat that
the license they purchased might not include all the functionality
described in the manual. To expand their license, they simply need to
contact us to purchase a "key" to unlock additional functionality.

This is much easier than trying to maintain two or three (or more)
slightly different versions of the same product. I've tried it, I know
what a headache it can be...

Cheers,

Paul
Paul Branchaud Technical Writer
pbranchaud -at- utsoft -dot- com UtiliSoft Inc.
(514) 747-1400 Ext. 211 555, Dr. Frederik-Philips, Suite 210
ICQ: 4161320 Saint-Laurent, QC Canada H4M 2X4

Calvin: "Why do tigers need tails?"
Hobbes: "Gee, I'm not really sure. I guess just because they look good."
Calvin: "So it's sort of a necktie for your butt?"