ANSWER: jumping from HTML to a specific PDF page

Subject: ANSWER: jumping from HTML to a specific PDF page
From: WandaJane Phillips <wjp -at- WRITELIVELIHOOD -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 09:26:01 -0400

Well, some time ago I queried the list about this, how do I jump from an
HTML page to a specific page in a PDF document? And I now have the answer,
many, many thanks to the people who helped me out with this!

1. Generate a PS file.
2. Open the PS file in a word processor that can save as text.
3. Find the EndProlog entry.
4. Add a line after the EndProlog entry and insert the following:

[/Dest/[name]
/Page [x]
/View [size]
/DEST
pdfmark

where:
name is a string which identifies your location, such as chapterOne
x is the page number in the PDF file (keeping in mind that the PDF pages
are numbered from the first page, so your page 1 may actually be page 5 in
the PDF)
size is one of the following
Fit which fits the page to the window
FitH which fits the page to the window width
FitV which fits the page to the window height
FitR left bottom right top fits the rectangle specified (replace the left
bottom right and top with numbers describing a rectangle) to the window
FitB which fits the page's bounding box to the window
FitBH top which fits the page's bounding box to the window and top gives
the y co-ordinate for the top of the window
FitBV left which fits the page's bounding box to the window and left
gives the x co-ordinate for the left edge of the window

5. Add the location to the jump, as in href="guide.pdf#chapterOne".

I haven't experimented with multiple destination definitions, that's next.
I was just so excited when I produced my first successful jump.

Wow, this is better than coffee, now I can get back to having a life. <g>

wjp
*** WandaJane Phillips **** Write Livelihood ****
Creative Solutions to Technical Communications
********** http://www.writelivelihood.com *********