http:\\www.ebay.com

Subject: http:\\www.ebay.com
From: Beth Friedman <bjf -at- WWW -dot- WAVEFRONT -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 10:08:51 -0500

In our previous episode, A Watkins said:
> Has anyone here participated in this online auction? I just
> heard about it a few days ago, and I'm wondering whether
> it's legit. Most of the software prices are too good to be
> true. Many of the products are supposed to be unopened,
> register-able, latest and greatest, shrink-wrapped versions,
> but I know some people who have access to shrink-wrap
> machines at their jobs.

The auction house itself (eBay) is clearly legit. It doesn't make any
guaranteees about the stuff the sellers are selling, nor will it do
anything if you get burned other than (under certain circumstances)
suspending the seller's privileges. Any legal action is between you
and the seller -- eBay's disclaimer when you bid on an item is a page
worth of small type, and finishes "Oh, and contents may settle during
shipping."

That said, I think it's basically a Good Thing, other than the fact
that I've spent way too much time on it during the past couple of
weeks. Most of the too-good-to-be-true software prices that I've seen
are on products that are often bundled as OEM software, so I suspect
that may be what's being sold. I'm not sure what the legalities on
that are. (For instance, the going price on Office 97 Professional
seems to be between $30 and $40.) In addition, sellers will often
start the bidding at way below the going rate, in order to garner
bids, so early prices don't mean much -- it's the closing price that
matters.

After a brief frenzy of bidding, I've won auctions on six items, have
sent off money for all of them, and am waiting for them to arrive.
There's a feedback system where you can look at the comments of other
people who have bought from the same seller, so you can get a feel for
what kind of reputation the seller has, and you can leave feedback for
the seller once you complete your transaction. (And the seller can
leave feedback for you.)

You won't generally find amazing bargains, especially for unique items
(collectibles), because there are a number of dealers there, and
they'll bid the price up to where they can buy the item and then sell
it and make a profit. On the other hand, you can often find good buys
-- especially if you're willing to pass up one item and wait for
another.

eBay is a community as well as just an auction house -- I'd suggest
that any newcomer read the chat boards at least for a while to get a
feel for the place. It's a good place to pick up bidding tips, too!

Beth Friedman bjf -at- wavefront -dot- com
"Your eyes are like aquariums," he murmured admiringly.
"Don't you mean -- aquamarines?"
"No -- aquariums. They're sort of a murky green."