Re: Transitive Verb Question

Subject: Re: Transitive Verb Question
From: Bill Burns <BillDB -at- ILE -dot- COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 15:06:25 -0600

Doug writes:

> You won't solve the problem by writing "The dialog box displays" or any =
> other ungrammatical construction. Every intelligent reader will ask, =
> "Displays what?" And the hypothetical dumb readers who will be mystified =
> by "The dialog box appears," and look for it to appear in the =
> refrigerator, will go to the same refrigerator to watch the dialog box =
> display.
>
> Doug Parr
> The Write Place

Yikes. For someone who uses a verb as a modifier, you're sure intense on
these matters of correctness.<g>

Hyperbole aside, I think its more a matter of familiarity (perhaps dialect?)
instead of intelligence. I have no doubt this form will become more
"correct" rather than less. At this point, though, it doesn't work for me.
I'll make no claims about its correctness.

I liked Mike Huber's contribution to the use of "display," posted on
techcomm. Mike, could you post it here?

Bill Burns
ILE Communications/Eccentric Technology Consultant
billdb -at- ile -dot- com