FW: transitive verb question

Subject: FW: transitive verb question
From: Lorin Ledger <LLedger -at- TOTAL-CARE -dot- COM>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 08:19:57 -0700

I like "The File dialog box opens." "Appears" sounds like Merlin wrote
the manual. Just a personal neuroticism I guess.

If you like some form or "display", use "The File dialog box is
displayed." Yuck, but better than "displays".

However, as my grammar professor said, "if the usage communicates the
message, then it's OK". That's English for you.
Lorin C. Ledger
Technical Writer
New Horizon Technologies
Phone: (250) 763-0034