Re: dialog / dialogue

Subject: Re: dialog / dialogue
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- SLIP -dot- NET>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 09:09:25 -0700

At 10:13 AM 7/10/98 +0100, Jackie Cable wrote:

> The spell
>checker is happy with either "dialog" or "dialogue" - a word that appears
><g> frequently - does anyone have any opinions on which I should use?

As I understand it, "dialog" is used for the user interface element, dialog
box; "dialogue" refers to a conversation between two people, and is not
generally used in computer documents I've read or written.

>(similarly "license" vs "licence" ?)

I think "license" is the preferred spelling for software licensing.

martha

--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
mailto:editrix -at- slip -dot- net

"If I am not for myself, who will be for me?
If I am only for myself, what am I?
If not now, when?"
--Hillel, "Mishna, Sayings of the Fathers 1:13"