Re: The Illuminating Question

Subject: Re: The Illuminating Question
From: Bernie McCann <BernieMc -at- AOL -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 14:28:00 EDT

Mike;

<<
It is sometimes stated as "flip off the light." Unfortunately, in some U.S.
regions, the phrase to "flip off" means to display the middle finger in an
insulting fashion. Thus, the instruction "flip off the light" has prompted
some individuals to attempt to insult the lamp in question. This action
typically has no effect.

I hope that your tongue isn't in your cheek, I would suggest that "flip off"
is jargon in any language. The O.E.D. suggests that this is similar to
flicking, but I've never seen anyone actually flick off a switch. I've worked
with many engineers who, over many, many years state, "but we always say that"
and, personally, I always say, "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn".

Bernie