Re: The Illuminating Question

Subject: Re: The Illuminating Question
From: Doug Parr <dougparr -at- INTEGRITYONLINE9 -dot- COM>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 13:50:09 -0600

My grandmother came to the United States from Portugal in 1913. She learned
to speak English on the streets of Oakland's "Little Portugal." For the next
84 years, she talked like she just got off the boat.

Grandma always said "Close the lights," and at home, I do, too. Close the
lights. Open the radio. What could be more natural?

In technical manuals, I write "the light comes on" or "the light goes off."
A military editor taught me that. To her tin ear, "comes on" sounded better
than "gets open." I'm aware that in certain circles, the phrases "comes on"
and "goes off" might cause coarse laughter, but I've had no negative
feedback from my readers.

I hope this has cast some light on the subject.

Doug