doing a good job...

Subject: doing a good job...
From: Rebecca Price <beccap -at- RUST -dot- NET>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 19:32:35 -0400

Chris Knight wrote, in respoinse to Rowena Hart's queston on how you determine
it's time for a tech dox department to grow:

> <snip>
> Because your customers are complaining about the quality or timeliness
> of your publications.
> Because your customer-support people or field-service people can't find
> what they need in the documents within 10 seconds.
> <snip>

which raises an associated question... how do you know that your department is
doing a good job? all the reasons to grow indicate that you need more writers
because the quality or timeliness is slipping. but what benchmarks do you use
to indicate that you're doing things right? lack of customer complaints is not
a good criterion... I think that, rather than complaining, most users simply
shelve.. or toss.. a bad manual.

this is not a rhetorical question.. if you've been following my posts, you'll
know that my dep't is doing a *wretched* job.. and my assignment is to change
that.

-becca

--
Becca Price
beccap -at- rust -dot- net

"Wisdom begins when you discover the difference between 'That doesn't make
sense' and "I don't understand.' "

Children of God, by Mary Doria Russell; pg 142-143